I would like to share with you the great benefits of Vajrasattva practice, just off the cuff.
According to the great masters, the main reason for us not being able to attain realisation or signs or siddhis from our practice is the presence of obscurations. Many masters have said that it is very very important for us beginners to start by doing a lot of purification. Of course, many people do not regard themselves as beginners, but even someone like His Holinesses Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche and Dudjom Rinpoche also emphasized the Vajrasattva practice for their own daily practice. So i think we can try to follow their example.
Vajrasattva is the quintessence of all deities. Reciting his long mantra 21 times everyday will stop negative karma from increasing in effect everyday. The alternative is to recite OM BENZA SATO HUNG 27 times, which serves the same purpose. Because many of us have taken tantric initiations and there is bound to be many broken samayas, then this purification is very much needed.
The notion of obscuration is very subtle in Buddhism. So for those who think that they are quite free of obscurations, please check the following:
1. Do you feel it difficult to discipline yourself to do practice everyday?
2. Do you feel it difficult to understand the teachings?
3. Do you feel tired, distracted, uninterested when it comes to receiving teachings, going for pilgrimages, doing practice and all the other virtuous things but yet feel great interest and energy in doing unrelated things?
4. Do you find it hard to feel compassion / patience for others, especially that idiot who made alot of noise when you needed to sleep or meditate etc.
5. Do you find it hard to have faith in the gurus, teachings, virtuous deeds?
6. Do you find yourself having difficulty staying awake during meditation, being very distracted and so forth?
7. Do you find yourself having certain addictions or compulsive behaviours?
If any of the answer is yes, you have obscurations, and not just a little.
Please do Vajrasattva practice, like OM BENZA SATO HUNG. I will start to do 100,000 mantras and dedicate it to all sentient beings from today onwards. I hope many people will also try to do so.
(note: i have completed my mantra count quite a while back… just to update! Rejoice in those who are accumulating too…)